Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Check out this "Eye Candy"

I know it is late for a Halloween post but I think these turned out too creepy not to share. I made my first batch of cake balls after discovering Bakerella back in the spring (yeh, I'm not really sure how it took me so long either - she rocks!). For my first attempt, I made red velvet Easter themed cake balls and sent them to my brother and sister-in-law. Fast forward 7 months and they were still requesting more, so when Halloween rolled around I knew it was time to send over another batch. Hmmm, what creepy, Halloween-y, sphere shaped item could I turn into a cake ball? I know! BLOODY EYE BALLS! They were so fun to make, and actually easier than my original batch because I decided to poke them with forks and serve them on a platter. Having the forks as part of the treat made them very dunkable. The basic cake ball recipe can be found on Bakerella's website but all you really need to do is bake a cake, let it cool and then crumble into a large bowl. Next, mix in an entire can of frosting until the entire cake is moistened. Using your hands or a small scooper create the cake balls. Chill in the fridge (I left mine over night and it helped a lot) then melt chocolate and dip each ball. Place an M&M on before the chocolate hardens. Once you are done with all the dunking, take some red chocolates and melt. Place in a small ziploc or piping bag (I used a #2 tip) and add "veins" to each eye ball. This project was fun!! Here are the pics:

I thought the tray gave it a bit of a dark, dungeon feel...or not?

Close up.

Eye on a fork! Nom, nom, nom!

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. lucy, these eyeball are awesome and gruesome. i really enjoy your blog. write some more.

    ReplyDelete