Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Apple Mania

I know it has been awhile, but I have a good excuse! My camera cord decided to quit working so I haven't been able to download all of my pics. Anywho, I finally borrowed one from a friend so here are some of my apple creations. First, I made an apple cake from good 'ol Martha. You can find the recipe here. This cake was delicious - perfectly moist, chewy, nutty and apple-y at the same time. I didn't even bother making the caramel sauce but I'm sure it would be a yummy addition. Greg and I enjoyed this dessert for, ohhh about a week's worth of breakfasts! Nom, nom, nom:) Enjoy the pics:

Floury, cinnamony!

Mmmmm

Plopped out of the pan.

Close up of the baked goodness!

Next up was apple pie. I have been slightly obsessed with Rose Levy Beranbaum and her books, The Cake Bible and The Pie and Pastry Bible. I would still like to check out The Bread Bible anddddd her newest book, Rose's Heavenly Cakes is definitely at the top of my Christmas list. Just based on the cake from the cover along with all the positive reviews on Amazon, I know it's gonna be awesome! Rose (apparently we're on a first name basis) is extremely knowledgeable about all things baking. While some of her explanations can get a bit lengthy and in depth, overall I love her style of teaching. She is very detailed and answers questions that others assume you should already know. So, when I wanted to make an apple pie I decided to use her recipe. After all, it is titled "The Best All-American Apple Pie." I used the version from the actual cookbook, but I also found it here for anyone who would like the recipe. It was a lot of work, but let me tell you, it was worth it! This was one of the best apple pies I've ever had. Here are the pics:


Greg creating the world's longest apple peel!

The apples in all their glory.

Me attempting to do a cute cooking shot - lil bit too much clutter in the background, ha!

Me attempting to take an artsy food shot.

The pie all ready to pop in the oven.

Would ya look at this beauty?!

I should have one more apple recipe coming up for the season and then I will be all appled out! I will also be back with my "spook"tacular Halloween treats - stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. It sure does look beautiful!! Hope it tasted good too!!

    Blessings-
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete